There's no denying the potential benefits of mentoring programs - they form a key part of the people strategies at 100% of US Fortune 50 companies and 84% of US Fortune 500 companies (1) and have been shown to improve retention rates (2), job satisfaction (3) and diversity and inclusion (4). But a successful mentoring program relies on fruitful mentoring sessions between mentor and mentee. That's why, today, we're sharing a set of one-on-one meeting talking points designed for mentors to ask mentees during mentoring sessions.
The questions in our talking point template were developed in tandem with our performance and communication platform, Frankli, based on the latest research in organisational psychology. They're designed to help you have the most productive conversations possible with your mentee, but, of course, you're free to change up these sample questions to suit your own plans for the session.
Frankli Admin Tip: Select the Mentoring template when creating a new 1:1 Meeting with your mentee to automatically add these talking points to the shared agenda, and give your mentee a chance to respond or contribute notes ahead of time.
One-on-One Meeting Talking Points: 5 Questions for Mentors to ask Mentees during Mentoring Sessions
- What are your short, medium and long-term goals?
- What’s working in your career and what areas are you looking to improve?
- What ideas have you developed to help you overcome challenges and meet your goals?
- What areas do you feel comfortable addressing on your own and what areas require more support?
- How can I help you achieve your goals?
Automate your One-on-One Meetings
Research from Gartner tells us that 65% of tasks currently performed by managers have the potential to be automated by 2025 (5), and it starts with the scheduling and structuring of one-on-one meetings with your employees.
Think about how much time it takes to;
- Set up one-to-one meetings with all your people
- Schedule recurring one-on-one meetings
- Come up with relevant talking points
- Set and share meeting agendas
- Share relevant documents to discuss
- Prepare relevant data on employee performance and feedback
- Record notes from the meeting
- Make lists of points to action after the meeting
- Assign action points and set reminders to follow up on them
All of this takes time, time that could be spent on strategic thinking and other pressing work. That's why millions of high-performing teams (6) are turning to digital tools like Frankli to automate one-on-one meetings.
With Frankli, you can take care of everything on this list in just a couple of clicks. You can automate meeting admin in minutes, and, more importantly, ensure the right conversations are happening with the right people at the right time. Speak to a member of our team to find out more.
1. MentorCliq, 2022 Mentoring Impact Report: Visualizing the US Fortune 500. 2. Deloitte Millennial Survey. CNBC, Nine in 10 workers who have a career mentor say they are happy in their jobs. 4. Harvard Business Review, Frank Dobbin and Alexandra Kalev, Why Diversity Programs Fail. 5. Gartner, 11 Trends That Will Shape Work in 2022 and Beyond. 6. Zion Market Research, Global Performance Management Software Market Will Reach USD 5,633 Million By 2026.